Thursday, September 6, 2012

You Are Special


How excited am I to have the first (three) days of the new school year completed?!
It's always better after the first day! :)

Even though it was kind of a bummer of a day that started with me opening the door of my classroom to a wasp that dive-bombed down from the ceiling right at my face. Even though I had a coworker bum me out at lunch by saying we might have to reduce our staff down one teacher again next year. And even though after school I had a parent email me to apologize for not being able to attend the 6th grade parent meeting tonight that we had canceled in the school newsletter last week and had somehow magically uncanceled in the school newsletter this week causing me miss my warrior sculpt class so I could scramble around to contact all the parents and try to make sure they didn't show up at school since the meeting really WAS canceled. Confused yet? Yes, even after just three days it's already become so much easier, ha!

AND, I got to have dinner tonight with one of my absolute favorite people in the world, my former 2nd grade teaching partner, whom I just love and miss terribly. How could it NOT be a good night after that?

On the first day of school each year, no matter what grade I teach, I always read my favorite book to the class. It's called You are Special by Max Lucado.


I was introduced to this story by a 5th grade teacher three years ago. He reads it to his class every year as well, and right before my very first day of teaching he gave me a copy of my own. I really wanted to share this story with all of you because I just think it has such an amazingly powerful message and can foster a great group bonding experience for kiddos on their first day as a class together. Everyone is special in their own way and everyone is unique- and that's how it's supposed to be. Yes, yes, I know, awww, how cute and contrite (insert eye roll here). But really. You won't be sorry if you read it. The best part is the conversation is spurs in the students, it's really quite beautiful to listen to them. And this year with a class of 14 sixth grade girls when they're kind of starting to get to that catty stage it was especially awesome. I always read this story on the last day of school as well. The kids usually gather around with their arms around each other, and believe me tears are shed!

Trust me on this one. Best teaching item I own. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I will have to read that book to my class. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete